Sunday, May 6, 2012

I kinda just love marine biology...

 Besides being a pediatrician/ pediatric physician assistant, my dream job would definitely have to be a marine biologist or be a marine animal caretaker! From ages 8 - 12 I legitimately wanted to be a SeaWorld trainer. No Joke! ask anyone who knew me, and they can probably verify that I was destined to be a SeaWorld trainer! I had annual passes there for a couple years so I became pretty fond of SeaWorld haha I even remember dreaming that I had a pet beluga whale when I was like 8 or 10. We had a big tank in the middle of our house and I had beluga whale that I kept in there, and I even taught it some tricks! Basically marine mammals were, and still are my favorite. I still would love to work for SeaWorld in the Animal Husbandry or Rescue department. Especially if I could take care of these little cuties...
Yep, Commerson's dolphins! They are one of my favorite animals in the whole world! They are found in the waters south of Africa and are only about 5 feet long! Basically the cutest dolphins ever! Whenever I go to SeaWorld, they are one of my favorite animals to see! But I also wouldn't mind working in the wild arctic exhibits. I mean who doesn't love beluga whales and polar bears?
Lately I have totally been reminded of my love for marine biology, ever since I have been home, I swear the ocean and marine life has been all around me! The first week a dolphin was stranded in the Huntington Wetlands for over a week, so that was all over the news.
Also, right around the time I got home from school, a gray whale was caught swimming really close to shore (right off Three Arch Bay) and the Ocean Institute posted these awesome pictures!

I would have died to be at the beach that day and see this! I probably would have been freaking out!
The next week, the Ocean Institute posted this video and this really reminded me of how much I love marine biology and marine mammals! 
Where was this video taken? Right out side the Ocean Institute in Dana Point, where I interned last year! A gray whale same into the harbor and decided to say hi!  I totally wish I could have seen this in person! That would have been so cool! Just to stand on the OI's dock and watch a gray whale swim by! But that's no big deal right? haha no, it's a big deal! haha Also, Friday and Saturday I had to drive up to Long Beach harbor for some work stuff and both days I saw sea lions! Soo cool! I just love seeing marine mammals in the ocean and not at SeaWorld. SeaWorld is cool, but it is way cooler to see them in their natural habitats! Especially since you aren't expecting it half the time! In a couple weeks I am going to the tide pools in Dana Point to teach my brother's cub scout troops about marine life and to show them all of the different animals you can find in the tide pools! Hopefully a lot of the animals will be out! Here's some of the pics I took for my AP Bio photo journal junior year!  I went to the tide pools with my friend Lindsay over spring break to take these pics and it was quite adventurous!




I am touching a sea anemone in that last picture, just in case you were wondering about my ridiculous face haha. One day I want to volunteer at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center in Laguna Beach. You can check out their website here! It's a great place and how cool would it be to help take care of and rehabilitate seals and sea lions?? I think it would be awesome! But anyway, I just love marine biology! I wish I could just hop right into the field and not have to get a degree because I don't like being tested about water quality and plants. One of the many reasons I changed my major to Physiology and Developmental Biology. Because I am also interest in human biology and I don't mind being tested on it! haha but that's it for today! happy sunday and peace out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment