Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Microbiology - You Should Take It

Today was my third day of shadowing, and each week I am more grateful that I took Microbiology last semester! I had to take it as a pre-req for PA school and boy am I glad I took it before I started shadowing! Out of all the classes I need to take for my major/PA school I am glad I took this one before shadowing because I think it is the most helpful for my shadowing! When they talk about specific antibodies, as IgM, I know what they are talking about! When the doctor says there's no medication for viruses I know exactly why! When they talk about the different antibody and bacterial tests, I know what they are talking about! When different bacterial strains or diseases are mentioned, I am not completely lost because I learned about it in microbiology and I can ask more intelligent questions! haha I am surprised that microbiology is not a pre-req for med school because it is SOO applicable to health care! I mean microbes are one of the main reasons we need to go see doctors right??
Basically, I have concluded that you should take a general microbiology class in college if you.....
  • are going to shadow any kind of health care provider
  • if it is required for your major! (kinda obvious reason haha)
  • If you want to be a Physician Assistant
  • If you want to go to Medical School
  • If you want to go into ANY kind of health care for that matter!
  • If you want to learn about bacteria, antibiotics, your immune system, viruses, diseases, and MORE!
It's an awesome class and I learned so much! It was definitely an interesting, useful, an applicable class, especially now since I am shadowing Dr. Shannon!  So if your are thinking of taking microbiology, as Nike would say, JUST DO IT! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment